Tuesday, March 22, 2011

baby day

My very dear friend who my kids call AuntE is finally expecting a little one of her own.  She and her hubby are beyond excited and are going to be A-mazing parents.  AuntE and I lived in the same dorm in college.  She knew me as 'the girl on the bike' (I always rode my bike)  and I knew her as the dork who introduced herself to everyone the first day of school.  Then we got jobs when we graduated at the same school and taught together our first several years together.  This year she is the principal!  That means that  A.  he rocks and B. We are getting old! 

We didn't become friends until we started teaching together.  When Hubby and I went to dinner with Aunt E and her husband the first time we had a good laugh; they knew my hubby as 'the boy on the bike' and hubby and I had referred to Aunt E's hubby as and 'the boy in the lobby.'  In our dorm, guests weren't allowed up without their host.  Aunt E's then boyfriend waited in the lobby, mine snuck up on the elevator.  We ended up being neighbors and carpool buddies. 

I'm not the only one that loves them.  They had like 17 baby showers and have every little boy sleeper, onsie and bootie currently on the market.  That little man will be well dressed. 

I finally got to give this hat, a taggie blanket like Lou's, a nursing cover, and this quilt.  I spent 8 hours in the car for a 2 hour shower, but it was worth it to see my good friend and her mama.  I also listened to a book on tape in the car and the time passed SO quickly.   

Let me mention the whole book on tape thing again. I listened to Pioneer Woman's new book, Black Heels to Tractor Wheels.  It was CD of course, not tape.  Same thing- from the library.  The drive went by so quickly.  I was worried that I'd already read much of the book on the blog, but there a lot more stuff in the book.  I was not disappointed.  I was going to recommend it to my Grandma, who I know reads her blog... but Grandma, it got a  little racy.  If you read it, pretend I have not.   Not like super racy, but just enough that I wouldn't want to watch it on TV with my parents in the room.. or my kids... or my boss.  It was sweet and romantic and now I feel like Ree and I are BFFs.  She was the voice for the book, so it was like she was talking to me.  We're tight like that.   I highly recommend passing time in the car with a book on tape, just make sure you know where you're going though.  It's a little tough to watch for interstate signs and follow the detour when you're worried about your new BFF working a prairie fire.  The truck caught on fire for goodness sakes.  My drive should have been 6 hours, but my poor sense of direction and inability to pay attention made me take the long way home.  The, little town every ten miles long way.

1 comment:

Aunt Donna said...

Glad you had a good trip. I bought Ree Drumond's book last month and plan to pass it on to Mother, (your Grandma). I'll tell her to skip the racy parts and head to the back for the great recipes. :)