Sunday, March 10, 2019

THE chocolate cake

My last post was our favorite chocolate chip cookies, today is our favorite chocolate cake.  There's a theme running here.  

So, I did a round of 21-day eating- which is through Beach Body and is basically low carb, low dairy, sugar-free.  So it's over and all I could think about was chocolate cake.  And it was delicious. 


I had planned to make a 2 layer round cake, but my springform cake pan was leaking.  I ended up with something not as pretty, but just as yummy. 

This cake is not hard to make and totally worth the effort.  

Favorite chocolate cake recipe
Add dry ingredient to your mixer. 
1 3/4 c flour
2 c sugar
1 t salt
1 1/2 t baking soda
1 1/2 baking powder
3/4 c cocoa powder
Mix wet ingredients separately and add to dry mix.   
2 eggs
1 c buttermilk (or add 1 T vinegar to 1 c regular milk)
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 t vanilla (I use Mexican vanilla)
Once well mixed, add boiling water and mix briefly again until smooth.  
1 c boiling water
Mix until well blended, about 2 minutes. 
Pour into well-greased pans and bake 350 degrees for @35 minutes.  

Cool.  Or better yet- toss in the freezer for a bit.  I like to ice the cakes when they're really cold.  
Icing:
1/3 c milk
1/2 c butter (melter)
3 c powdered sugar
2/3 c cocoa powder
1 t vanilla

This recipe will make 2 round cakes to layer, or a 9x13.  This time I split it between two 9x13 pans and then cut in half to get 4 layers. 





No comments: