Saturday, October 13, 2012

preschool journals

I'm so excited about these preschool journals.  They are a 'new to us' project for this year.  I love how they are coming along.   We picked up composition journals over the summer for each friend. 



Here's what we have so far.


Self portrait:     (This bottom friend must be a germ or bacteria cell)



I love love love their little preschool drawings.



We will redo this one at the end of the year. 



I know that the parents will treasure this collection of little projects. 



Here's favorite color:


 So far, we have something for each letter.  I think I can keep going with this.  Aa is for apples on the Aa.  It's little inked finger prints on the letters and then we drew on a few stems and leaves to make them look like apples.



For the letter Bb, we had two choices.  First, they could turn a B into a bee.



Or, they could stamp bees on a Bb.  I only have one bee stamp, so I wanted another Bb option.  Just about everybody wanted the stamp option though.



 Here's C week.  Coin rubbings on the letter Cc. 


 Also, if the kids do a little drawing or something and give it to us, we're sticking some of them in the journals.  This little friend was drawing me a lot the first few weeks of school.  She would draw rows and rows of me.  This one she said was 'two Ms. Beth."



We used tracing your hand as sign in one day.



Usually, for the first part of the year anyway, this is our sign in, tracing their name or writing their name.   I think we'll include this once every few months anyway.





Here's how we're fitting this into our day.  We either have it as the sign in for the day or it's at a table.  The kids do something quickly at the sign in table as soon as they enter (name, tracing hand, etc).  Usually, I have one table set up each morning for journals. We have other tables with other table toys or themed activities. I try to make sure each friend stops there once a week to complete the project.  Some really like it and can't wait to do it on Monday and want to do it each morning.  Others, need called over on Friday and promised it will be quick, but that's just a few.  It hasn't been time consuming or a burden to plan yet.  The parents that have been in for leader day so far are loving it and can't wait to see what's been added.

Here are other posts with our journal ideas: 

journals again  June 8, 2013
journals  Jan 19, 2013


3 comments:

Clint/Wendy said...

Thanks for fantastic ideas! I have became your #1 blog-stalking (so sorry) I just love some of the ideas that you have!

Nathalie said...

Love it! I did something similar to these last year, but love your idea better. Did you glue their activity in their book each time or did you have them do it in their journal?

Nathalie said...

Love it! I did something similar to these last year, but love your idea better. Did you glue their activity in their book each time or did you have them do it in their journal?