From the Hive- Giveaway! Ends August 4!
I've written about the best pencil sharpener before, and you'll hear about it again today. But today, I get to give one of these bad boys away! I have two (red and greed) and will never spend money on another type of sharpener! It took 9 years of burnt out motors, clogged and jammed machines, noisy-beast fails, but I've found the solution.
This great sharpener I'm talking about it from Classroom Friendly Supplies. If you're a teacher, you know the struggles we face with pencil and sharpeners. It's ridiculous. Like, seriously it leaves you scratching your head.... or banging it on the wall. Even if you are not dealing with 50 pencils a day that need sharpened, this is a great piece for you to add to your homework desk area or home office.
Here are my requirements for a good sharpener. 1. quiet 2. clean 3. must last the whole year (longer would be a plus) 4. doesn't cost a fortune (cause you know I'm paying myself!) 5. doesn't clog and fuss at us, especially while I'm trying to teach! 6. actually sharpens the pencils 7. easy to take apart and fix when some lovely child tries to sharpen their pen or their eraser end of their pencil or something equally as brainy. Wouldn't you know if this one meets every requirement! Even my former preschoolers were able to sharpen their pencils!
I've shown several teacher friends my sharpener and now many have their own. I've given them as teacher gifts from my kids and have even taken it to show other mom friends on the playground (cause I'm seriously that cool). The sweet teacher next to me last year even came over and borrowed mine afterschool everyday, after she saw my sharpener but before hers came in the mail.
This year I ordered new blades, which is a feature I've never seen from a company that sells pencil sharpeners. Both of my sharpeners are two years old and have sharpened at least 30 pencils a day through two past school years. They still are going strong, but I felt like they earned some new blades.
If my opinion isn't good enough, check out this end of the year writing from one of my students. I asked them to write about third grade, what they will miss, the good, the bad, and everything in between. This little friend said, "I would also miss that pencil sharpener by the door in my room. It is very easy to sharpen pencils with." Out of the mouth of babes.
I give my third graders a little demonstration a the start of the school year although there is even a video on the website. It's different from every other sharpener the kids have used. I go over a few of my personal rules 1. only the pencil sharpener person may dump the shavings (they all love to dump and it makes a lovely excuse to be out of your seat) 2. no colored pencils (I feel like the wax creates an issue), no pens, no erasers, no metal ends of pencils 3. No pencils under 3 inches (personal pet peeve). Of course we have other procedures (do all kids need micro managed like this?) about when you can sharpen, how many pencils you can take up at a time, how any kids can be in line at a time. Honestly, it's so quiet and nonintrusive I really don't care when they sharpen as long as it's not during instructional or some type of sharing time.
Ok, here's how to win: CLOSED
1. Follow them on their facebook page. MUST DO TO ENTER
2. Leave me a comment telling me that you followed them and what color you like best. (see colors here) I have red and green and love them both! Be sure to leave me an email address to contact you, should you be the lucky duck chosen.
1. twitter: tweet about this giveaway or this pencil sharpener. Whatever works for you. Leave an additional comment telling me you have #classroomfriendlysupplies
2. facebook: do one or both of the following- leave them a comment on their facebook page or repost or share this giveaway on your facebook page. Leave me an additional comment saying that you did so.
3. pinterst: pin a photo from this giveaway or one from their website. Leave me a comment saying you did so.
Rules and such:
1. US shipping addresses only- sorry my international friends.
2. Giveaway ends August 4th (2014) because that's my first day back at school (seriously)
3. The selection of the winner will be random.
What if t's not winner winner chicken dinner day for you? Or you need extra parts? Or more for friends? They have also created a special 5% off discount code that you can use when checking out of the online store. F7Y39 This code expires on Sep 5.