Wednesday, June 18, 2014

garden tales

 
We downsized the garden a bit this year.  We're using the smaller upper garden and instead of the larger lower garden (we live on a hill), we have two raised planting boxes.  I always wanted some and when the neighbors next door moved this spring, I jumped on them. 
 
 
 
I have green beans in one box and sweet peas and strawberries in the others.   We have tomatoes in the upper garden. 

 
 


 
There's a little something going on with the green beans.  The edges of the leaves look burnt on the edges.  The new leaves are ok, so I'm not going to worry.  I wonder if they got sun burnt from a mid day watering?  
 
 
The logan berries are two weeks later than they have been in the past three years, but they're here now and Bee and I are devouring them by the bowl full. 
 

 
 
 We planted new strawberries this year.  The others are so buried under the thorns of the logan berries, they are impossible to get to. 


They new ones were not great producers this year, but I think next year they'll be better.
 
 
I can't wait for the tomatoes.  I don't really eat them off season, they're so disappointing from the grocery.  I planted several varieties of heirloom tomatoes. 
 
 
After my plants were coming up, I put newspaper down and then straw on top just like I've done the past few years.  It's my favorite gardening short cut!  Few if any weeds and it helps keep the moisture in the ground.  Here's more about that from two years ago.
 
 
And my favorite flowers are blooming.  It's the best part of the yard!
 

The goal for the garden this year was low maintenance.  Hopefully low maintenance still can be high producing.

No comments: