Thursday, August 26, 2010

canning dill pickles

I can't believe I have no other photos of the making of these pickles. Actually, I probably do, all of the many photos of jars are starting to run together in my photo albums.

I am glad that I waited until this canning week to share these because I was able to finally (after 5 weeks) open them and taste. Oh, my, these are good. Hubby said they smell. Making them stunk and eating them stinks. Sometimes good things are worth a little stink.


I followed this recipe from Never Enough Thyme. Now that I have tasted them, I might make more. I have a lot of things I want to make another batch of...

Kosher Dill Pickles
cucumbers
pickling salt
vinegar 5% acidity
water
dill seed or fresh dill head
black peppercorns (it's fun to spill the entire jar all over the kitchen floor!)
garlic

sterilize your jars and lids. For each quart of pickles, bring 1 cup+ water and 1 cup+ vinegar to a boil. In each jar, place 1 T plus 1 t salt, 1 T dill seed or 3 fresh heads, 6 black peppercorns, 2 halved garlic cloves.

Pack cucumbers into jars (cut cucumbers however you like). Pour boiling water and vinegar over cucumbers. Affix lids and rings.

Process in hot water bath for 20 minutes. Let sit 4-6 weeks plus before opening. Do it. Wait. Don't cheat.

Quarts ingredient Pint
1 C water 1/2 cup
1 C vinegar 1/2 cup
4t salt 2 t
3 heads fresh dill 1 1/2 heads
6 peppercorns 3
2 garlic cloves 1

No comments: