Friday, August 27, 2010

canned taco seasoning

Really, the only thing that makes this 'canned' is that it's in a canning jar. It doesn't even have to be in a canning jar... so it's really just homemade taco seasoning.


I found a similar recipe for taco seasoning awhile back on a random message board. I didn't even mean to print it out, but printed something else out and it came with it. Divine printing. I've tweeked it just a bit.

Homemade Taco Seasoning

1/2 C flour

1/2 C Onion Powder
2 t garlic powder
4 T chili powder (more or less for the amount of spice you want in your life)
1 Tbs dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1 Tbs table salt


Mix well. Use 6T per 1 pound of ground meat and 1/4 c (+ if needed-depending on the fat content/wetness of your meat) water and cook until meat is done in frying pan.

I made this up in July, but it wasn't until last week that I actually tried it out. I was very pleasantly surprised. The kids all liked it too. I think we preferred it over store bough. See, divine printing.

3 comments:

Counting Coconuts said...

Mmmm... I need to make this. I grew up on Mexican food and my mom and grandma always made their own seasonings. Sadly, I never learned their recipes before they passed away. Thank you for sharing this, Beth!

Ott, A. said...

If it's in a canning jar we will take it!!! :) Once you make the investment in the jars it's great to know other options you have for them when their isn't food inside of them.

mommyslittlemonkeys said...

Thanks so much for this! I am out of taco seasoning and this is better than store bought which contains MSG.