Monday, June 21, 2010

Happy Father's Day

I've been missing around here lately. This is what I've been working on. This and our crazy weekend of work.

Hubby's family did not know a lot about their family tree. My dear hubby has really been wanting to know where his family immigrated from. So, Lou and I dropped Bee off at bible school this past week and hit the local genealogy library. We spent hours there and discovered some missing pieces. After I learned how to access census records and marriage records online I was also able to do some additional work at home. I found two lines that I was able to trace back pretty far. We discovered two immigrants from Ireland and one from England. There is a lot of work that can still be done here.

The census records are really neat. Of all the regular excepted data you can see, you also can learn the occupation of your family member. We had some street car conductors, farmers and a ditch digger.


If you're looking to do some of your own research, I highly recommend ancestory.com. It's pretty much like the free library program (that is only available at the library), but the home version. It is a little pricey for a years membership but it offers some really great features. It really helps you along the way and allows you to see other member's trees. I am still using the 14 day free trial, but might pay for a month or two at least while I plug in more pieces.

Hubby was really excited about his gift. He had no idea what I was doing on the computer so much this week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have a lot of stories about our ancestors. Some are even true.

Love Always,
Dad