Thursday, June 24, 2010

Cd holder for the car

This one was for my baby sister who turned 16 just two weeks ago. Just a babe. Sigh. I made
her a 7 pocket car CD holder. I thought it was more exciting than a trash bag. She' will be getting that another time. Shhhh.

The final project was 14 inches long and 6 1/2 inches wide. It fit perfectly on both my car's visor and hubby's car. Your visor may be different. You may need to alter measurements depending on the size of your visor.

You will need to cut:
2 pieces of 15 inches x 8ish inches for the front and back of the holder
6-8 coordinating pieces that are 10 inches x 8 inches (for the pockets) (You might want to make the last pocket a little longer to allow for slight mis-measuring!)
fusible webbing/ wonder under, etc (I lined everything)
2 pieces of 1 inch wide elastic that are 8 inches long
coordinating thread
You will also want some CDs that you can stick in to make sure that everything is lining up right.

Here are some measurements you'll want to know.
The top of the pocket to the sewn line on the bottom of that pocket is 3 3/4 to 4 inches
The top of one pocket to the top of the next pocket is 1 1/2 inch.

Lets get started. Even if you're not freshly 16, it's ok. It's probalby better- you'll respect car organization even more.

1. Iron wonder under to the underside of all of your pocket pieces and the front and back piece. Remove paper backing.

2. This red dots fabric is a pocket. For the pockets, iron on wonder under, remove backing, fold in half (fold the tall side down- in the world of second grade, we call this a hamburger fold). Iron again.

3. Place the pocket on the right side of one of your body pieces, place the finished folded edge towards the top. Using a Cd to check placement, decide exactly where you want your first pocket. Make sure to leave a little room to finish up the top edge later. Make a line 3.75 inches from the top of the pocket. Sew along this line.

4. Trim the pocket edge where you just sewed. Prepare the next pocket. Sew on and repeat. The top of one pocket to the top of the pocket below should measure 1 1/2 inches.


5. Repeat until you get to the bottom of the long body piece.

6. Using your second piece of backing, place right sides together. Those pockets are all on the inside of this sandwich. Sew around the edges leaving the top open, It is where you'll flip it out later. I used a CD again to check the necessary width. I had enough fabric to play with that my seem allowance was more like 1/2 inch here.

7. trim
8. turn right side out. Admire your work.

9. Mentally note where the elastic pieces should go. One set towards the top, one more towards the bottom. I know you could have placed the elastic before sewing the edges, but this worked better for me.
10. Turn it back inside out. Find the 4 spots that you like to place your elastic. Mine are marked by blue arrows int he pictures. Gently, rip out those stitches. Insert elastic so that it's inside the CD holder. Pin. Re-sew those four little areas, securing nicely.

11. Turn it back to see the right sides.

(I was literally falling asleep as I was writing this last night. Here is exactly what I wrote for step 11: "agian m it makes up happier., ")

12. Inspect it again.

13. Fold in the top edges. Pin.

14. We're now going to sew around the edges again. Use a CD in the pocket to see how much seem allowance you have to work with. I think I used about 1/4 inch but should have done 1/2 inch to keep the CDs more snug. It gets a little tricky with the elastic. You don't want to sew it down. There will be some pulling the elastic out of the way and some start and stop to move over the elastic.

(Again, here is sleep Beth step 14- I'm not sure what this even says!: "That's hedges of the wash pen be caefull. Pull the elastic elastic out of th eay. See how it is whan Ipitch.") I should get more sleep.

Pull the elastic out the way so you can sew past it. Then back stitch to stop. Pull it off the machine.
Push the elastic back and start again where you left off.

15. Here the elastic is wrapped around the front, but you can see the finished edge is sewn.

16. Place in car and fill with your favorite car tunes. Hopefully yours is filled with something cooler than bible school soundtracks and the Wiggles.


If you have any questions, fell free to let me know. I'm happy to reexplain anything. If you make this, or anything else you see on From the Hive, I'd love to see pictures or hear about it. Link up and share with everybody if you want.

7 comments:

Aunt Donna said...

What a clever gift! Love the combination of fabrics.

UR said...

Oh... very good idea and great tutorial.
thanks you for your sharing.

ps. Full color

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Love it!! Fabulous job!

Kelly said...

i was wondering how you got enough sleep... i feel better knowing that you're not!

KimMalk said...

This is so cute and not terribly difficult. You really found cute fabrics to put together, too. I'd love for you to link this to Fabric Fun Thursday :).

Sheri@childmade.com said...

LOVE your color choices! Great tute! Thanks for sharing ... I've posted a link. I would love it if you joined my link party sometime!

Jenna Millsap said...

This is sooooo cute!! Love the fabric combo, too. I think I have a new project to add to my to do list. I've got CDs flying all over my car!