Tuesday, March 23, 2010

we're ready for the humingbirds

This may seem like an odd timed post (another one is coming this week) but it's not (unlike the other). I didn't realize that the humming birds are coming through the country right now on their northern migration. I usually only think to put the humming bird feeder out in mid summer to early fall for the birds as they slowly migrate to Mexico. I guess it makes sense that they come back through at some point!



I stumbled upon a great website that shows ruby throated hummingbird spottings as they head north. Using this map, we located the approximate time for the first northern migrating hummingbirds. The kids found this map and the past several years maps really interesting. They could be coming to our area this next week.

 
The feeder is out and we are waiting! These pictures are from last summer.

On a side note, we finally spotted a golden finch. They were supposedly in our area all winter, but we didn't see a single one. We saw him twice today. Oh- forgot again that I hated birds.

 
Here are our other finches that we have enjoyed all winter. We have two pairs that visit together. I thought the red was a different kind than the brown ones, but the boys are the red ones and the plain ones are the girls. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that just because you hate birds, your little ones are becoming bird watchers. Both yellow finches and hummingbirds are fun to watch. Your great grandma fed many birds. I wish now that I hadn't given her nice bird book away to some friends.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it great to forget what we hate.

Love Always,

Dad

Sarah said...

The map is cool! The brown finches might be the yellow ones. A neighbor just told me this week that the yellow finches turn brown in the winter.