Saturday, March 24, 2012

can I post this on my door so you know why the dishes aren't done?

 Yeah seriously, I need to hang this sign on my front door as a disclaimer.  Ignore the crumbs on the floors, dishes, and laundry (the three things I can't seem to ever keep up with) we are playing legos over here!   And building fairy houses.  And being scientist.   And whatever else strikes our fancy. 


Mother, O' Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth.
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.
 Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue, 
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due,
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek - peekaboo.
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew,
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo.
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.
 The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow,
But children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
 ~ Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

3 comments:

grandma said...

I have seen this poem before and think it is great. Just come up with a game to have the children help with a few chores before you run out of any clean dishes.

chelle said...

Cute poem, I need to post it up too ;-)
thanks for sharing

Danielle said...

I need a sign also! I rather enjoy a beautiful day outside with the kids instead of cleaning. Once they're in school full time then I can spend my days cleaning. At least that is the current plan!