Wednesday, June 27, 2012

building stuff and reading

I've had extra time this summer for reading. I love it.  The kids have been playing outside with the neighbors any chance they get.  They don't seem to mind the heat at all.  When we get hot, we all just go get in the pool.  That's pretty much the routine this summer; play outside while I sit and read on the pew, then we go swim.  


He's been busy with his toolbox.  This little gal is our neighbor.  She is often Lou's assistant.  She once told him she might want to marry him.  He avoided her for two weeks.  He finally told her he didn't want to get married.  To her or to anyone.  Ever.  They seem to be speaking again.


Lou managed to get some scrap wood from a few friends so he's been building. When he scored some longer 2x4s today, he was more than pleased. 


He made something everybody could enjoy, some balance beams.


Here's what I've been reading. I really prefer a good nonfiction. 

Look Me in the Eye:  My Life With Aspergers  by John Elder Robinson.  This was a great book my sister passed on to me.  John lived the first 40 something years of his life knowing he was different than other people, but not having a name for it.  He has led such an interesting life and is a great storyteller.  This book made me think of students from years past.  He has another book, Be Different, it's on my list.


Nuture Shock by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman.  This was a great read.  It is full of current research concerning parenting and child development.  There was an excellent chapter on teaching kids self control and another on sleep that I really liked.  Also good stuff on siblings and why kids lie.  The whole book was full of good info. 



Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.  I really enjoyed this book although it had less to do with 'school' that the others.  It examines what factors lead to people being successful.  He has a few other books that are going on my list, Blink and The Tipping Point.



Imagine: How Creativity Works  by Jonah Lehrer.  This book was more scientific than the others, but still a fun read.  It explored what settings make for the most creative environment and how big companies like google and pixar get the most creativity out of their employees.  It had some good info for teachers and parents about how to encourage your own creativity as well as that of your little people. 


A few others on the list are:  The Dumbest Generation and Einstein Never Used Flashcards.  Are you reading anything good this summer?  What's on your list?

No comments: