Saturday, November 10, 2012

F fish day- preschool style

 I've done ocean day in years past, but 'fish' day was new to me. 


We set this fun activity on the tables in the morning.  We spread contact paper on the table, sticky side up.  The kids can position and reposition shapes cut from foam paper directly on the contact paper.  The pieces come off easily to be saved, when the play is over.  One of our friends from class shared extra fish his mom ended up with after a birthday party.  It worked out great.

I started our circle time out with this little rhyme:


I used these numbered fish cutouts as I said it.


Then we danced to Laurie Berkner's, The Goldfish. The fish in the story brush their teeth and ride their bike and do lots of swimming. It's a good one to dance to. 
 
Then I read One Fish, Two Fish by Dr. Suess.  I skipped a lot of pages!  I dislike reading Dr. Suess. 



We played this number matching game.  I put the paper bowls on the flannel board and passed out the fish.  The kids took turns matching their numbered fish to the numbered bowl.  You can print off the fish (unnumbered) here.  (I am trying to figure out google drive for document sharing.  Hopefully this works.)



Then we looked back at some of the opposites in the book.  I made up more examples and let them say what the other fish would be.  Hot fish/ ______ fish,  soft fish/ ______ fish,  nice fish/ ______ fish, tall fish/ _____ fish. 



We sorted a little cup of colored fish crackers using this page.  The new 'natural' colored fish are short one color.  This sheet is from PreKinders.



We then rolled the dice and added that many fish to our bowls. Each child had a little half fish printed with a bowl.  The kids were pretty done at this point and several just started eating them.  One friend turned to me and said, "I'm think I'm just going to go play over there."  I wrapped it up pretty quickly.





At the very end of the day, I used this felt set borrowed from my co teacher to sing along with Octopus (Slippery Fish) by Charlotte Diamond.   It's a fun food chain song.  It's has a catchy little tune and will stay in your head.



Here's the f journal page for the week.  You can print it here. Hopefully.


No comments: