Friday, October 29, 2010

about that mermaid

So, about that mermaid costume. We keep getting asked how it was made. It was so easy. I had intended on taking pictures during the making of it, but Bee was jumping up and down beside the sewing machine putting the pieces on as I finished them.

The body suit is a dance leotard that I purchased from the costume shop in town, only because the dance shop didn't have nude in the child's sizes. Bee picked out the fabric. The green came from the dance/swimwear/spandex section of the fabric shop. I only bought 3/4 yard.

I turned down the top edge about a half an inch and sewed that down. That became the waist. The fabric is stretchy and needed no other waist band. Then I wrapped the skirt on her with the wrong side out and pinned it on her. I sewed along the pin line from the waist to about mid calf.

I had her try it on and I trimmed the bottom. It is supposed to be V(ed) down in the front. I made a ruffle out of the remaining fabric using about twice the length of the bottom measurement. I sewed this ruffle to the bottom edge of the tail.


I started and stopped the sewing of the ruffle in the back so it would stay open. This helps with walking.
For the top, Bee picked out something pink and shimmery. I only bought 1/4 yard. I wrapped it around her chest and pinned. I sewed it in a loop. I cut a thin piece from the trimmings of this and tied a knot around the seam.

See. underside shows the knot.

Then I added thin straps.

I made a quick headband out of the scraps. The green is a loop of the tail fabric. The star is two layers of the sparkle with a layer of batting in between. This headband was her idea.

Now all you need is a superhero brother and you're good to go.


I linked this up at: Fabric Fun Thursdays @ Cheap Chic Home

4 comments:

KimMalk said...

What a great idea to use the nude bodysuit as a base. The tail turned out so pretty. It looks like your daughter really likes it :).

Unknown said...

Hi,

The mermaid suit looks nice...:)

Dr.Sameena@

www.lovelypriyanka.blogspot.com
www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

AllieMakes! said...

OH My Word that is ADORABLE!
Excellent job!
You should come link this up to my Making It With Allie Link Party! I think it would make a Fabulous addition!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Brittany@Love Stitched said...

feel free to link it up to my HALLOWEEN COSTUME party going on now!!! there will be a prize for the top three costumes :)
http://lovestitched.blogspot.com/2010/11/costume-linky-contest.html