Tuesday, October 5, 2010

tuesday cookin' -three bean soup

I feel like I'm cheating sharing another recipe using canned chicken broth. At preschool we say, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit." Because surely everybody will be all worked up about my recipe. Pretty much.


Three bean soup is a yummy soup that we like to enjoy on taco night. It's fast and we all like it. It's an easy one too... You could certainly use store bought or freshly homemade chicken broth or stock. Ive found that one whole chicken usually makes up about 4 cups of broth cooked in my crock pot.

4 cups chicken broth (or 2-3 pints)
4 cans beans (feel free to mix and match)
2 cans great northern white beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
1/2 t thyme
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t salt
Chili powder to taste
1 T olive oil
cheddar cheese- to top


Cook everything together about 15 minutes, give or take. Use a blender or food processor to smoosh and mix it all up. I usually puree it pretty smooth, but hubby was suggesting that next time we leave it a bit chunkier. Cook a few minutes to thicken it up to your liking. Top with shredded cheese if you like it that way.


Here are the other lovely ladies in today's, "I canned a whole LOTT and now I'm cooking in my bistro."
a Latte' with Ott, A http://www.alattewithotta.blogspot.com

We had enchiladas on this evening. We also had some guacamole. The kids LOVE guacamole. I just smoosh up avacadoes and add some homemade salsa.


We also really like to make up chips out or tortilla shells. I kind of oil them up a little with olive oil, add some salt,


slice them up and bake until golden. I guess I have no pictures of them being golden and crispy.

I'll just keep the crispy ones for myself.

3 comments:

grandma said...

I think I would like this chunky. I have 48 oz. of white beans on hand. If I don't make white chili, I might try this and freeze.

Anonymous said...

Yummy! :)

Ott, A. said...

Looks like soup was a good pick for both of us this week!!!!