Wednesday, January 4, 2012

special sounds- A Beka

I wrote recently about my inability to figure out Bee's 'special sounds' homework.  Actually, we were correcting work from class because Bee apparently had an inability in figuring it out too.  I asked Bee's teacher to share with me what these special sounds were so I could have a list. She sent home a book with charts and practice pages and I copied all of them down.  I had searched online with no luck (perhaps there is a real name other than 'special sounds).  Regardless, here they are.  Hopefully some other desperate parent can use them to help with homework.  

To the best of my knowledge and copying ability these are the 'special sounds' that go with the A Beka language materials. All 131 of them.

a adopt

a asleep

a banana
air hair

al also

alk walk

all ball

ang bang
ank bank
ar dollar
ar stars
are care

arr carry
ay pray

au faucet
aught caught
aw saw

be because
bl block

br bride

c city

ch chorus
ch church
ck  duck
cl clock

cr crab

dge fudge
dr drum
e me

ea leaf

ea steak
ea thread
ear ear

ear earth
ear pear
ed wanted, looked, played
eigh eight
en enjoy

en sharpen
er bigger
er verse

err cherry
es peaches
est biggest
ew few

ew flew

ey key

ey obey

fl flake

fr frog

ful beautiful
g giant

gl glue

gn gnat

gr grin

igh night
ild child

ind kind

ing king

ing pointing
ink wink
ir bird

ie brownie
ire fire

kn knot

le little

ly slowly

mb lamb
o go

o shovel

oi choir

old gold

ong long

onk honk
oo book

oo tooth
or morning
or sailor

ou country
ou out

ough enough
ought thought
ould could
ow bowl

owl owl

oy boy

ph phone
pl plane

pr pray

sc scat

scr scream
sh ship

sion missionary
sion television
sk skate
sl sleep

sm smoke
sn snack
sp spade
spl splash
spr sprain
squ squeak
st stop

str stream
sw swim
tain mountain
tch patch
th thick

thr three
tion nation
tr train

ture pasture
tw twins
u push

un unbutton
ung strung
unk trunk
ur nurse
ure pure
wa wash
war warm
wh whale
wh who

wor worms
wr wrinkle
y baby

y crystal
y fly

y rainy


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This site breaks it down by charts. http://www.cceschool.org/hayes/Phonics%20Charts.htm

Anonymous said...

Thank you thank you thank you!! I've been looking for the list of special sounds!

Unknown said...

Yes this was excellent help right when I was at the border line of pulling my hair out. I am ever so grateful. Thanks for sharing.

RadLady said...

Thank you so much. What a great help. I wish I had seen this earlier... I already pulled all my hair out!!!