Saturday, January 7, 2012

snow- review day -preschool style

The first day back at school was a 'review' day.  I wanted to do something wintery, since most of our days are themed, and don't involve snow.   I missed my little friends and was ready to get back to school.  


We read S is for Snowman: God's Wintertime Alphabet by Kathy-Jo Wargin.   It's a cute book that I bought last year right after winter, so this was the first time I have read it to a class. 


As I read it, I put cards with uppercase letters on them on the board.  I only did this up through Jj, which was our last letter to work on before break.   After the story, I laid out some laminated snowflakes (here are directions to making 6 pointed snowflakes).   The kids took turns matching the snowflakes with the uppercase letters. 


Each snowflake had a lowercase letter on the backside of the snowflake.  I didn't want to ruin the appearance of the front of my flakes.  I might use them for something else someday.  


I was good to get back to our class.  The kids seem to have mellowed out a bit over break.  What a happy surprise.

No comments: