Friday, February 11, 2011

preschool valentines day activities

It's all hearts and pinky love at preschool this week. The boys said, "Why is it so girly in here?"

Here are the books I used. I really like Love, Ruby Valentine.    How Do I Love You isn't really a Valentines book, but it has a great little lesson on how our parents love us.  I tied it in with how God loves us.  Good days and bad.  My teaching partner was using The day it Rained Hearts later in the week or I might have used that.


This was my favorite of the day.  As the kids came in that morning, I traced their hands on paper.  Later, as the kids came back from the bathroom, I put a heart sticker on each of their fingers.  We sang 10 little red hearts several times.  Then, we helped them place their stickers on their traced fingers.  They took this home and can sing it for their mamas and daddies.

(tune: 10 little Indians)
1 little, 2 little, 3 little red hearts, 
4 little, 5 little, 6 little red hearts,
7 little, 8 little, 9 little red hearts
10 little red hearts wiggling at me. 
(we sang again and wiggled at a neighbor and then at me)


We haven't worked much on rhyming at Preschool, but I thought this would be fun.  I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly they caught on. 

(tune of 5 little ducks)
6 little Valentines I once knew,
all lined up for us to view
but the valentine that I like best,
it is the one that rymes with ______
(bed- red, shoe- blue, stink- pink, brite- white, bean- green, mellow-yellow)


I passed out a heart to each child and then had them bring them to the flannel board one color at a time.  We made a graph out of them.  I asked lots of questions and they did really well with it. 

Here are some of the self directed activities that I set out after snack.   This one is missing numbers and I found it at Musings of me.


Here's a chart I made last year for counting practice and work on one to one correspondence.


Thic kiss counting activity is also from Musings of me. 


I made this valentines bingo for Bee's class party.  We didn't use it at preschool although if my color ink cartridge wasn't almost out I might have printed out enough to use it there too.
 

This tic tac toe is for Bee's party also.  Lou is funny playing tic tac toe, I don't think it would have gone well at preschool.

Here's a graph we did at home.  Candy heart graphing.


Bee's party is Friday and I'm the V-day party organizing mama.  I made a funny cupid for pin the heart on cupid.  I had to add some extra clothes to him this evening.  He was looking a little naked.  I'll have to get a picture of him during the party.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute & creative

Love always,

Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth,

We loved the rhyming/colors activity you did with your preschoolers and featured it at our blog, Preschool Lesson Plans.

You can find the full feature here:
http://preschoollessonplans.info/1537/valentines-day-fun-working-with-colors-rhymes/

We were sure to give idea/photo credit, as well as a link back to your site, but we'd love for you to take a look at it. If there are any problems, we'll be certain to take down the feature immediately!

Thanks so much,

Kayla Johnson
tristro.com/kayla