Thursday, December 30, 2010

pot holders- last minute gift

Last week as we were packing to go on our Christmas travels, I accidentally saw this idea for reverse applique quilted potholders.  I knew they needed made up right away and finishing the binding in the car would be a nice little project for me.

They made up faster than that and I got them done before we left.  Which was fine; there was plenty of other binding to be sewn as we drove.



I have been really working on my corners when binding.  I think I'm getting better.  I use the method where you fold the strip in half and sew with the sewing machine to the front.  Then, you have to hand stitch on the back.





I had all the supplies on hand, which always makes for a good project. The reverse applique leaves raw edges on the front.  Since I used a canvas like cloth for the top, they needed sewn twice with the sewing machine and once by hand for decoration.



I gave these to Hubby's aunt who hosted us for Christmas dinner.  I'm also begging some white sweet potatoes off of her for sprouts this spring.  This was the first time I'd ever had a white sweet potato and it was pretty much awesome.  Might have had something to do with the butter and brown sugar too though.

1 comment:

Mary said...

These look great. Thanks for the link back!