Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cinco de Mayo -early

We had to change plans and have our celebration a day early.  I was throwing things together at the last minute, but we got it.  All you need for my crew to have a good time is festive music and some good eats.


Throw in a funny hat and some felt mustaches and you're talking party.   (I love Lou's eyes in this photo)



I quickly made up some ruffly garland (from Made) and will never go back to regular crepe paper.




For the mustaches I just cut out pieces from black felt.  We used a loop of scotch tape to hold them on.


My roses have been loving this rain.  The bushes have been exploding with blooms this week.  Each of my 12 bushes are different.  The previous homeowner was given a bush each year for mothers day from her kids.  I'm enjoying them now.


I made little shells for some taco salads.  To make them without frying, I lightly oiled (olive) and salted some regular soft taco shells.  I put them inside a glass bowl and baked them at about 410 degrees for 15 minutes or so.  I let them cool for several minutes in the bowl before I took them out. 


Then we stuffed them full of our favorite taco salad goodies.  We had a nice mix of salad greens, black beans, taco meat, cheese, tomatoes, guacamole, sour cream, and salsa.


I had planned to make some corn cake or rice of something, but it didn't get made.  We didn't know any different.  

After dinner, the music was turned up.  The kids decided this song needed stick for dancing.


Bee changed into this special outfit for our fiesta.  She felt it matched the theme. A too short undershirt and a needs-to-be-ironed skirt, sure kid.




There was lots of dancing.




We had so much fun we're going to do it again on the real night, even though daddy won't be there.  The party goes on. 

2 comments:

Christina said...

Oh I love the idea about the taco salad bowls! Looks like lots of fun :)

Kelly said...

This looks like the funnest Cinco de Mayo party ever!