Thursday, May 19, 2011

Mary Mary quite contrary

Here's how my garden grows.

We lost a lot of time and work and seeds and plants with all the rain in April.  ALL.THAT. RAIN.  The roads to school were closed the roads to the nature center were closed, we missed a few days of work and school.  It was a mess.  I have a part of the garden that is still unusable.  That area  was flooded the longest and was covered in a green slime runoff from the street above the hill.  Over mother's day weekend, I replanted much with starts and will try seeds again next year.  Perhaps.  The green slime area will wait until it time to plant the pumpkins I guess.  Hopefully it will be better by then.  

Here is the goodness I do have going.   A few pepper plants, given to me by a friend who had them safely tucked away in her greenhouse during the rain mess.  Poor friend lost the roof of her house!  The greenhouse was unharmed though. 


Spinach.  Bee and Lou are eating it as quickly as the pesky rabbits.


Two rows of lettuce.  Two more rows waiting to sprout.


A few pea plants survived, they were planted early and either didn't survive the rain or were nibbled away.  We probably have 30 plants left, but intended to have 200!


The berries are coming!  Strawberries are anyway. 


The raspberries will be later in the summer, I think.  This is our first year to have them (new house) so we'll be surprised.  The blueberries I transplanted from the old house have survived, but are not fruiting this year.


Cucumber, squash, zucchini, I don't know, they all look alike. We have a few of each.


Eggplant. I'm the only one who loves this, so we don't have many.  Ok, only one and some little bug has already found it's tender leaves.


Tomatoes, a few varieties, mostly heirloom. I had picked out neat varieties and ordered seeds, but that didn't end up going so well for me.  Next year, I'll not worry about seeds and buy only starts.


Watermelon, cucumber, don't know which this is.  They all look the same.


Sweet potatoes. The bunnies seem to really love them.  Not sure that they are going to make it.  They aren't looking this great now.  It's hard because I can't see what's going on underground!


Watermelon, cantaloupe, it's whatever the other picture wasn't.    My detailed garden notebook had been tossed out the window at this point.


The two remaining tomatoes that I did start from seed.  Tiny guys, not going to do much...  I need to thin them out, but it breaks by heart to pull them.  I could probably get over it.


I bought extra tall cages this year.  These guys have a lot of growing to do!  I thought it would give them lofty goals. Think big, grow tall. 

3 comments:

jess_hak said...

Think big, grow tall.....love it :)

Ott, A. said...

It has been an incredibly wet spring, but for the most part it looks like your plants are hanging in there. And your strawberries look great. Nothing beats a strawberry in season.

Kelly said...

This looks like an amazingly wonderful garden!