Monday, January 24, 2011

the red thread gift

Someone I know is adopting.  That's all I can say about that.  They have found and shared a quote with us that they are living out.  I wanted to make a special gift for them using that quote. 

It's an ancient Chinese proverb:  

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance.  The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break."

I loved it when I first read it.  Don't you have some friends like that?  The more you get to know them, you realize that it was fate that you met and that if you hadn't met the way you did, there would have been a dozen other opportunities to meet eventually.    This would make a great gift for anyone adopting or for those friends you just feel your paths were destined to cross.


So this project is simple.  I printed the quote on some pretty paper and arranged it on another sheet of pretty paper with a black mat sized to fit a 4x6 photo. 


This sample picture shows how a piece of red embroidery floss runs across the back.   The red floss is gently glued on in a few spots.

 It's framed in a black shadow box. Here's my favorite part.  I wrapped some additional red floss around an old wooden spool and it's glued in there too.  I love the 3D part of it.


Now all we need to add is a family picture of the new happy family  They'll have to do that at their house.  They can't share photos yet.  Pretty excited to give this to them.  They'll see it here before they get it for sure.  I'm nervous to ship it, so it may be awhile before I can give it in person.   Pretty excited about that. Giddy excited.

Linking up to some of these wonderful link parties.

3 comments:

Lots of Fun with My FaMiLy said...

I LOVE this quote! You're right there are a few people in my life who I think I was destined to meet :)
I had to share this post on FB.
Thanks for sharing,
Tish

DanielleN said...

That is such a cute idea! They will love it! I am glad Luke is doing fine. I also love how you have an ad for mascara above your title. Maybe cause it says eyes??

Michelle {Daydream Believers} said...

What a wonderful quote and a beautiful gift! :) M*