Saturday, August 13, 2011

review games

I had post ready to go the last few days, but they didn't go. We've been away from home and I didn't even notice.  Here's one of them.

I just made my sister up a set of my favorite review games from my bigger kid classroom days.  Then I gave it to Bee's teacher as a first day of school treat.  I made my sister up a new set.  I used to use these for review for all kind of things; mostly spelling and math.  I started with football and baseball and ended up adding other sports over the years. You could customize it to any sport really.  These games are so versatile.  I used them in 2nd, 3rd and in 6th.


The game pieces are just clipart I found online and brought into Word.  I printed them out on cute colored paper (some of it glitter), laminated them, and added magnets on the back.  They are used on the board in the classroom. 

I typed up directions for all the games and added that to the front.  I ordered a set of blank spinners (since I didn't want to give away my only one!) and included those as well. 

Here are the directions from the front. Someday when I figure out how to do file share things, then I guess I can have all of the pieces and the directions in an easy format to share.  Someday.  Until then:

Math football:   (play similar for soccer) 
Draw field on board.  Divide kids into 2 teams, place football on 50 yard line.  Give a question for all to solve/work out.  Call on someone from first team.  If they get it right, have them spin spinner.  Move football away from their goal that many yards (1 = 10 yards, 2  =20 yards, etc).  If they miss, call on someone from the other team. Let them spin if correct.  Then return to the other team.  When a team reaches the other teams goal, give them a tally mark and return ball to 50 yard line.  (Use spinner divided into 4 sections)

Math Basketball: 
Draw two goals on board.  Divide kids into 2 teams, place basketball in the center.  Give a question for all to solve/work out.  Call on someone from first team.  If they get it right, have them spin spinner. Slide the ball towards their basket.  Award team 1-3 points.  Tally under their goal.  (use blank spinner programmed with 3 sections) 

Math Baseball:
Draw diamond on board.  Divide kids into 2 teams.  Give a question for all to solve/work out.  Call on someone from first team.  If they get it right, have them spin spinner.  Move a cutout player to that base (1 = 1st base 2 = 2nd  base, etc).  If they miss, call on someone from the other team. Let them spin if correct.  Both teams may/will be on bases at the same time.  When the 2nd player goes for a team, they add their bases to the one already on base.  Example:  the red team has a player on 2nd.  On their next turn, they spin a 3.  The player piece will travel home scoring a run and then go to 1st base (for a total of 3 bases).  (Use spinner divided into 4 sections)

Tip: Have two players sitting near the front be ‘spin captains’ for the teams; all the kids don’t have to walk up & spin, the captain will do it all. 

Tip:  Award additional or deduct points for good/bad sportsmanship.

Tip:  Have a class list on hand with the two teams indicated.  Mark the names as you call on that student.  Mark differently if they are called on but miss.  Come back to them.

Tip:  Cater your questions to different levels of learners.  Call on the appropriate level of learner of harder or easier 

No comments: