Monday, August 22, 2011

screen door remake- wall art

This idea came from my friend Melissa who saw it over at Flamingo Toes.  Melissa was super excited about it and posted it on facebook.  Later in the week, I was in the basement and came across three screen door inserts just like what she needed.  Lucky day.



I commented back to Melissa that I had the door if she had the chicken wire.  Girl after my own heart, had 50 feet of haorded chicken wire in her garage.  


 We gathered old frames and glass jars and she came over for a mama's craft night.  We had heard that the chicken wire was hard to work with  and I considered keeping it with the screen.  Melissa is a hardworken crafter and thought we should attempt it on the third door and see if it would even be possible.  She pried off the trim on the back


And then we pulled back the screen sending staples and nails and wood splinters flying.


The chicken wire was a two person job but manageable. 


These frames had a nice edge on the underside for us to staple.


After the third door was done, we decided we liked it like that and had to do the other two that way.


Melissa helped me come up with a layout.  I had painted the frames earlier in the day different soft colors. We used jute to tie the bottles to the frames.  Then we tied the frames to the chicken wire. 


I hung it on the wall in the living room with empty bottles before Melissa left so we could check it out.  Melissa seemed concerned about the weight of this project on the screws that I used that were already in the wall.  She must think that shelves at my house have a habit of falling.



The next morning Bee and I went to the yard to see what we could pick.  There was plenty.  If you look closely, right in the middle, there is the funniest spider.  He's white and looks like a crab.


I added just enough water to let the little stems get a drink.  I didn't want to add too much weight.  Hubby has since added some anchors and made this a sturdy piece of art.


This is my favorite frame and bottle. 


This bloom came from a row of these silly bushes that I kept thinking if they didn't do anything this year, I was cutting them down in the fall.  Look, they did something.  It was a happy surprise like the dog wood tree.


This project is a little shabby chic for our living room, but I do like it.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep fresh flowers in it all the time so we'll have to see how some from the craft store look.





Melissa didn't have all her bottles and frames ready but took one of the doors home to work on as she finds the right pieces.  That still leaves one door.  I've got it hung up another place for another purpose.  I'll write about it later this week.

5 comments:

JoAnna said...

hardworken really? Is that a real word? I love it!! It tells me she's been around a craft or two and can made do with anything! You know that white flower is a hibiscus/rose of sharon , right?

Sandy said...

This turned out so cute! Glad hubby anchored it to the wall though :)

mommyslittlemonkeys said...

LOVE it! Mine is still waiting for me to find frames and perhaps I should use up that red wine vinegar so I can use the bottle. Can't wait to see where you hung the other one.

jess_hak said...

This is just lovely! I'm actually going to send it to my crafty friend....this is right up her alley! Beautiful really.

Sugarbug Boutique said...

Really cute!! Love the way it turned out!