Friday, August 5, 2011

healthy lunchbox- homemade cheese crackers

So somehow Bee went and grew up and is off to first grade in a few days.  This will be her first year to stay at school all day and she's mostly excited about lunch.  I'm looking to put together some healthy options for her and have bunches made up and ready to go.  I've been saving this homemade cheese cracker recipe that I found in an 1978 Ladies Home Journal.  I'm a hoarder like that.


Slightly adapted cheese cracker recipe:

2 c. (8oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. butter
3 T water

Cream butter and cheese until smooth.  I used a pastry blender.  Combine salt and flour and add to creamed mixture.  Slowly add water to get a nice consistency, just enough to let the mix stick together.  Blend well.  Roll out 'dough' to about 1/8 inch thick.  Cut into desired shaped (use little cookie cutters or cut into squares).  Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.  Cool on wire rack.  This makes about 13 kid sized servings, at least using our little cookie cutters.

The verdict:  They are good.  I don't like store bought cheese crackers so much, but these are pretty decent.  Bee and Lou (and daddy) ate as many as they could get their hands on and the rest have been divided up and ready for lunches.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yikes! My comment form messed up, so I don't think my real comment made it. In short, I was asking if you might consider a post highlighting the school snacks you have "hoarded away"? Or at least links to the posts you may have posted recipes in that are particularly school lunch friendly? Making lunches is my goal this year. We'll see...

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

These look so easy to make and yummy too. Do you know hoe long they can store in the fridge for? and are they suitable for freezing?