Sunday, July 4, 2010

getting closer- marinated mushrooms

My sister and I have been trying to replicated a marinated mushroom recipe for some time. My stepmom died several years ago and with that, we lost several recipes. The two specifically that I've been looking for are these delicious marinated mushrooms and a yummy baked Alaska. She had dozens of cookbooks and hundreds of issues of cooking magazines. Many pages were marked in some way. I presume she just knew which place to look for each recipe. We did not.

So anyway, my sister and I have tried out a few recipes for the mushrooms without luck. I think I got pretty close this weekend. Hubby is not sure how I can remember something that I haven't tasted in a good number of years, but I do remember. However, I do remember them looking less yellow. The marinate they sat in I thought was more clear.

Marinated Mushrooms

1/2 c red wine vinegar (I've seem recipes that call for cider vinegar)
2/3 c olive oil
1 t oregano
1 garlic clove crushed
1/2 t salt
1/2 t sugar
1/2 t pepper
1 pound mushrooms
1 t lemon juice
1 t basil
1 bay leaf

Mix all the ingredients together. Marinate mushrooms at least overnight. I thought the second day was even better!

I can't wait for my sister to make them and see what she thinks. Are we getting closer?

edited to add:  we found it!  We found the actual recipe!  It slipped out of a recipe book on a tiny scrap of paper as my sister was moving old cookbooks. We were close!

Mary Beth's marinated mushrooms:
1/4 c red wine
1/2 c olive oil
1 garlic clove crushed
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 pound clean, mushrooms (halve if necessary)
2 t lemon juice
1 t Worcestershire

Marinate overnight.  Devour the next day.  Don't eat them all, you'll have a bit of a belly ache.  Been there, done that.

2 comments:

grandma said...

They sound very good. I do hope your Sister agrees. I thought I had come up with the frozen baked alaska but maybe I just remember it different than you. I may not have used the peppermint ice cream in it. I have made my version using different flavors. If you find a duplicate, let me know.

Christina said...

mmm... sounds delicious. i have a recipe that is pretty close to this that i've been meaning to try as well in hopes that it would be close. i also remember the marinade being less yellow.

super excited to try these! maybe next weekend if you are ready for mushrooms again? :)