Wednesday, July 21, 2010

toddler belt

I've been pondering this silly issue. Lou is a skinny fella. It is not an uncommon predicament. He needs a smaller size for his waist. He's not tall, but needs a larger size for his height. That size is too big for his little waist. The poor boy can't keep his pants up. We solved that last year with a belt. This fall, he needs to be able to pull his pants up and down on his own to use the potty at preschool. So, that's where my pondering has been. A belt that a 3 year old can manage... Hmm.

He selected some dinosaur fabric. I just folded in in on itself and sewed, like making a strap for a bag. This belt for a 3T is 23 inches long. I tried it on Bee too, and I think I'll make her (4-5T) 25 inches long.

With some added velcro for the closure, there it was.

I added an extra long piece of velcro on one end to allow for growth. I considered adding a layer of felt in the middle to stiffen it up a bit, but I don't think it was needed.


How I didn't think of this myself, I don't know. I didn't though. I saw it here, at "What I Live For" where she shares how she made a toddler belt. If you've got a skinny mini kid who needs a bigger size pants for length, you'll need one of these too.

3 comments:

Judy Whatilivefor said...

That turned out so cute...now I want to go try making one out of fabric for my son! I linked up to your post from my tutorial because I love seeing different variations and hope that anyone else thinking about making one could benefit from both posts.

I'm glad my post was so useful!

Aunt Donna said...

What a cleaver belt! As a former preschool teacher, this would be a great tool for helping the children be more independent when using the restroom. Lou's teacher will want several of these for the other students.

Aunt Donna said...

oops, I typed cleaver when I meant clever