Tuesday, September 29, 2009

homemade noodles

I've been watching for a noodle maker at garage sales for some time. A few weeks ago, I finally found one. It was practically new and still in the box. This and huge also new looking crock pot for $12 total, not bad (this is after I originally offered $6 each and she countered $7 for the noodle maker and $5 for the crock pot.... hmmm)! Then it sat in the box for a few weeks before I got up the nerve to try it out.



I found most online recipes to be so similar. I also found a few you-tube videos that explained the process, but it's pretty simple. I used 2 eggs only because that's all we had left and 1 1/2 c flour. I think I also added a shake of salt.


You make a little well out of the flour and then break the eggs in the middle. With a fork you just start mixing and slowly mix in the flour.



I'm not sure if this is how it's supposed to look, but this is what I ended up with after a bunch of trips through the press. This particular recipe did not need to dry, which is what I remember about my mom making noodles. After boiling for just a minute or so, they are done and ready to eat.


I think we all enjoyed them. The kids could have eaten thirds and fourths. I didn't have any sauce prepared for them and the kids were pretty confused. Next time they will be a main dish with some kind of sauce or vegetables cooked with them. I am also thinking about different purees that could be mixed in, or maybe cheeses?

No comments: