Sunday, September 27, 2009

fall meal- apple kuchen and stuffed acorn squash

This meal pretty much says fall, stuffed acorn squash and apple kuchen.

Apple kuchen is a delicious and soft bunt cake that I remember my mom making pretty much my whole life. I think I remember her saying that she got this recipe while she was in la leche league some unnamed number of years ago. The kids really love it so it's a real treat when we make it. It's also a good way to use up a bunch of leftover orchard picks.

Apple Kuchen
Beat together:
3 eggs
3/4 c oil
1 1/2 c sugar
sift and add to the above mix:
2 c flour
1/2 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1 t baking soda
stir in:
6 medium peeled chunked apples
Bake in a greased bunt pan at 350 for 45-50 minutes. top with a thin powdered sugar icing.

(I'm totally laughing about Bee's face in this picture. She was trying so hard to pose.)


I have always had it baked in a bunt pan, but I suppose you could make it in a 9x13 of something similar.

Stuffed acorn squash comes from something similar I tasted at a grocery store. We used to occasionally go to this higher end grocery store in Indy that had a chef on site. They made really good prepared food to buy by the weight. I often looked, but never bought anything in this section. Once they were giving samples of this and I tasted it and then asked a lot of questions. I have come up with something pretty close. I don't measure when making this, so it's a guestimate here.

Stuffed Acorn Squash:
2 acorn squash
6 corn muffins (either make from scratch, or use a mix)
about 1/2 c of craisins
about 1/2 an orange
2 T+ brown sugar

Cut the squash in half and clean out the seeds. Bee is good at this.




Turn the squash skin side up and bake at 350 degrees for 45 min in about 1 inch of water. When out and cooled a little, scoop out a little squash, leaving a nice 'shell' to bake in again.

Crush up corn muffins. Mix extracted squash, crumbled muffins, craisins, brown sugar. Stuff the squash and top with some more brown sugar. Bake for another 10-15 minutes.


4 comments:

Kelly said...

I love squash. Maybe Dave hadn't eaten any veggies while at college, bc he seemed apprehensive the first time I wanted to buy squash... Anyway, I will stuff the squash with apples and raisins, which is very low carb, but I will definitely try it with the corn muffins now, bc that is nearly a whole meal in one dish! I love your blog!

Katie from ABC&123: A Learning Cooperative said...

Both of those recipes look fantastic. I love the way bundt pans make foods look especially elegant:)
Thanks for sharing your link with Show and Tell Saturday.

Katie said...

That cake looks fantastic, I love it when recipes have special food memories.

Casey at The Wonder Years said...

Oh, those are some great looking recipes. I will have to try them out at home!