Friday, June 17, 2011

chalkboard and other uses for cabinet doors

I'm pretty excited about this project.


I've gotten my hands on a bunch of cabinet doors.  Actually, my neighbor Abbey has gotten her hands on bunches and bunches of them and shared some with me and some other friends. 


I've made two projects with them and have two more planned.  The first project was a chalkboard.  My friend Melissa (another one who has gotten her hands on a few of these doors) has made up some really cute chalkboards as gifts.  They were adorable so I decided to make some of my own.


Melissa hooked me up with some of the scrabble trays that she picked up on ebay.  They make fantastic chalk trays. The chalkboard paint paints on easily and only needs two or so coats.  I got mine for $10 at Walmart.


I painted this one up plain white and added some fabric flowers.


The fabric matches the pillows in the living room.  I should say pillow in the living room.  I have planned out 5 pillows, but have made up only 1.  It's been months, I've kind of moved on. 


The kids like for me to write on it our to-do for the day.   Apparently this day consisted of a trip to Joanns, the pool supply store and the library.  We live on the edge.


We used another door for Lou's own chalkboard.  He painted it blue and orange.


And Bee painted hers purple and pink. 



We've looked into lots of different ways to make erasers.  This wool felted flower has turned out to work pretty well.  It's leftover from this crochet project


It's working pretty well.  This day must have been more productive,  looks like Lou is erasing: go get ice cream, go to mission store, go to Josie's house, have supper, swim. 


I made up one for Abbey as a thank you for the doors. I'm having so much fun with them, I might need more.

Here's the other project I've done.  I nailed two to the wall above Lou's bed.  Instant headboard.


I have hubby assigned to help with my two other projects this weekend.  Hopefully I'll have something to show for it next week.

1 comment:

Sugarbug Boutique said...

Wanna come and paint mine? Just kidding...{well, not really.} Love the flowers and cute idea for scrabble trays. You and Melissa are so much more crafty than me!