Tuesday, July 5, 2011

gumballs for good behavior

 I've mentioned before that we are struggling with behavior at our house.  Certain ones of us more so than others.  We've tried a number of different behavior charts, etc, but in searching for more ideas, I found this gumball display with a sign reading 'chews wisely'.   (I'm also seeing it at a bulletin board in an elementary classroom with some behavior plan worked in).   We're really going back to basics with discipline stuff and it's stressful and embarrassment when we have to have a time out at the grocery. 


I got this idea from Wendy from Craft Goodies.   I made ours out of paper on hand in the not-being-used scrapbook supply box.  We are earning paper gumballs for good behavior.  Bee and Lou went to Bee's room the other day and started nicely playing polly pockets and batman guys together- gumball.  They both did their summer schoolwork without complaining- gumball.  We had a trip to the grocery with no crying (oh my goodness, surely we've all been there- drama!)- gumball.  Bee had a friend over and Lou played along nicely- gumball.  

We talked about a reward and rather than go with something gumball themed, the kids want to go to a nearby amusement park.  Great choice.  We've never been and were planning on taking the kids at the end of the summer anyway.  I should get a gumball for that.


Here's Wendys. She uses it for activities to do with the kiddos this summer.  It's magnetic and way fancy. 

2 comments:

mommyslittlemonkeys said...

I like it and we have been having more of those days around here, too. It wears on your nerves for sure. I'll have to try this.

Danielle said...

Cute idea! I can totally relate with the behavior. We have "corner time" when they act up. I have even said in the grocery store to Alyssa "I put you in the corner if you don't stop" Alyssa always responds with "There are no corners here". And I always respond with "I will find one". Luckily we haven't had to resort to that but I will do it if I have to.