Friday, April 24, 2009

happy birthday daddy


Friday was hubby’s birthday. He took the day off of work and we really had a nice day riding bikes, going to the park and seeing friends. I made his favorite strawberry pretzel dessert. I don’t know what it is about this dessert, but boys especially seem to like it. It might be why he married me. Luckily, our friends ate so much pizza tonight, that not everyone had dessert. We have a lot of leftovers!
This is one of my mom’s favorite desserts to make, I do not know where she got it, but I do remember it was for special occasions or special company. It takes a good deal of preparation and the construction should not be rushed or you will get runny results (as I sort of did today).

1st layer/bottom:
2 2/3 c. crushed pretzels
½ c melted butter
melt butter, add pretzels, mix well. Bake at 375 for 10 min. Cool well.
2nd layer:
8 oz cream cheese (room temp)
1 small tub whip cream (room temp)
2/3 c sugar
Blend well, top pretzel layer and let set up in fridge
3rd layer/top:
1 large or 2 small boxes of strawberry jello
2 c. water
2 bags of frozen strawberries (I like to slightly smash one of the bags)
-boil water and add jello. Pour into bowl with frozen strawberries. Let sit for a few minutes and then add to top of dessert. Let set up in fridge for several hours, overnight if possible.

No comments: