Sunday, November 29, 2009

turkey day

We have returned from our Thanksgiving travels. We had a fantastic time and are ready to sleep now.

There was good food. so good. and so much! The turkey was smoked and was so delicious. That is everyones favorite cooking method, or rather eating method.

Lou and I made up some rolls, this time using all bread flour. They were so light and fluffy and really much tastier than the ones I was making!



My sister and I made up some candied pecans. And even though neither of us like nuts, we ate almost the whole pound of nuts. I came home with 2 more pounds of nuts to make at Christmas.




The kids put out our leaf name tags.


The kids sat at our new table. My aunt found this at a tag sale for 25 cents a chair and the table was free. We crammed everything in the car so that we could bring it home. I also came home with a red wool pea coat that my sister fought me for. I should have let her take it since I think it will get more use with her. It's really pretty and I love the buttons on it though. Maybe I'll keep it.


There was crafting.

The kids worked on their Christmas story books. More on that on Tuesday.



I had a whole basket of projects to work on. I crochet a hat that turned our really really large. I got Lou's car cozy almost done. More on that this week.



We made braided headbands. More on that this week too. We had to pull out the old sewing machine which looks great in my sewing room next to the first piece in my collection. It's not hoarding, it's collecting. This one seems to be from 1908, but was upgraded at some point with an electric motor and light.


My dad helped me finish up Lou's natural blocks and rhythm sticks. I can't wait to share those later this week.
There was the crazy hunting through ads to plan our the strategy for Friday. I should have gotten up with the early crew. I missed out on the tray carts I hoped to get at Joann's. I did get some nice things even waiting until 7:40 to shop.


The girls had a movie afternoon! Hubby and I haven't been to a movie together since September of 2005. Regardless, the girls and I went to see New Moon. I must say that it was MUCH better than the first movie. Three of the four of us are real fans of the books. The littlest sister still has time to come around. I think she really did like the movie though, so maybe the books are soon to come.


Bee wore her thanksgiving dress and sweater dress/top that I made her (more on those on Monday).


There were several very kind and patient Aunts and Uncles who played 'little birdie' and read many stories.





Bee even took some time to clip coupons. She has decided that this is my Christmas present. She said 'mommy loves to save money'.

I ordered 2 tickets to The nutcracker and I can't wait to tell Bee. This will be her first time!

I hope that you have a great Thanksgiving too.

5 comments:

grandma said...

The days together were so great. I think there were a few more things we would have liked to cram in but didn't we all have very full days. We are so fortunate to have so many things to be thankful for. So glad you were all here.
I am blessed.

Amanda Pedro said...

arrrrrrhhhhhh You're making the car cozy, you're making the car cozy!! I saw it somewhere and didn't bookmark it and have been going crazy trying to find it since. I can't wait until you blog about it. I just need one more look to try it out myself.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

It was great to be together. Jill tried the meat and said that she tasted Lawry's seasoned salt. I'm glad we had time to be together. We'll try to work out something for Christmas.

Love Always,
Dad

Kelly said...

It was so great to see you all! We had a wonderful fun time.

Katie said...

Looks like a fun day! I love it family and crafting! Those candied pecans sound good too, I love pecans and find that a lot of people who usually say they don't like nuts like those. I think it's because they are on the sweet size. Pecan pie is one of my all time favorites.