Saturday, November 21, 2009

can we bring the rolls?

Grandma, can we bring the rolls? My baking team has been working hard on perfecting some delicious yeast rolls. This recipe makes a lot of rolls! I think we had 42 today. I have made a half batch before, but why not make them all up and share with friends. (If you half it, don't half the yeast, use @ 1T plus 1t)

Dinner Rolls

2 c warm water
2 c warm milk
2/3 c sugar
2/3 c vegetable oil
2 T salt
2T yeast
@ 8 C flour (I used 1 c whole grain, 1/2 c spelt flour- that's all I had left, 1/4 c wheat germ, 1/4 c flax seed meal, and the rest unbleached flour)


mix water, milk and yeast. Let sit 10 ish minutes. Add sugar, vegetable oil, salt, and mix well. slowly add the four(s). Add enough flour until the dough is slightly sticky, but workable. Knead on a floured surface. I always prefer to have it be lighter and use less flour rather than more, but you don't want a sticky mess. Let raise 1 hour or so in a greased bowl. You can punch down and rise again and I do prefer to do this is time always. If not, that fine too. Pull off small sections and roll into a snake. tie in a knot and place on a greased sheet. I like to use my baking stone for everything, but all my batches turned out great today no matter what kind of sheet they were on. Let rise 20-30 minutes and then bake 365 degrees for 15 minutes. Watch them though, you certainly don't want to burn them after you put in all that effort. Plus, I think the whole grains brown up faster... maybe that's just me and my tiny oven. Brush with butter after removing from oven while they are still hot. This makes them so pretty.

That's a lot of liquid!

Here is my morning baking team hard at work. I did have the kids get right up and start baking since we had our volunteer morning at the nature center before the Thanksgiving party. We let the dough rise for 3 hours since we were gone and then baked them right before school. I'll share the craft from that tomorrow. 


Our little knot rolls are all ready for the kiddo's plates. The kids ate a little of each dish (traditional thanksgiving food) and then had a choice of several desserts. No one left hungry!


3 comments:

grandma said...

I am looking forward to the rolls, I like the amount of sugar you are using but did you list the water twice? Of course that is a lot of flour and I am not a roll maker.

Aunt Donna said...

Yum - O!!! Wish I was gonna be at the Thanksgiving table.

Susan Seger said...

These rolls were DELICIOUS!!!! I'm copying this recipe also! Beth, I think I'm going to gain weight ... now that I've learned about your blog!!!