Tuesday, January 19, 2010

fortune cookies and egg drop soup

Oh man, I love Chinese food. oh man.

Like most other foods that I love, I've tried to come up with an at-home version. You won't mistake this egg drop soup for some from the all you can eat buffet, but we do enjoy this healthier version. It's simple and makes a good last minute meal.

Egg drop soup
chicken broth or stock
egg whites
salt to taste
flour or corn starch
green onions (if you like that, yuck)
- bring stock to boil. Add some flour or cornstarch to thicken soup. I use my immersion blender to really get it mixed well. Beat egg whites in a bowl. Bring soup back to a boil. Slowly pour the eggs into the soup while using a fork to whip the soup. This breaks the egg up into the wispy white stuff you find in egg drop soup. Experiment with how fast you stir to break up the egg so you have some thicker pieces and some thin little wisps. The eggs cook in just a few seconds, so it ready to serve right away, although I usually let it boil another minute. I'm pretty sure that they add yellow coloring in restaurants, we don't bother.



I never knew you could make your own fortune cookie, so when I saw directions for it, the kids and I got right on it. The recipes and great directions come from Alpha Mom. They were shared there by my new friends (although they don't know that we're such good friends) at skip to my Lou.

The kitchen staff was thrilled to have a fun project to work on.

They even included printable fortunes. I think this is what we'll make for Bee to pass out at school on valentines day.

They were pretty tasty too! Mine never got as hard and crispy as it sounds like they should have. I did seal them up at some point. I'll have to try again.

3 comments:

grandma said...

I have forgotten about the things I liked at the oriental restaurant. I'm thinking of the good almond cookies right now. Your fortune cookies look great. Does everyone pass out treats at school? I hope to get your candy canes in the mail today. I'm waiting to call to see if my ant baits are harmful to your cats.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you could also put the yolk in. I hate to waste them. I would think they would be ok.

Love Always,

Dad

Kelly said...

Make-at-home Chinese? So jealous!