Sunday, January 17, 2010

old wood signs

The signs aren't that old, but the wood is. Back when I was in high school and college, my mom lived in this older home with a great stash of old wood in the garage. My old shop teacher used to live there before us so there was a good stash of all kinds of wood. Some of it was old floor boards from the house which had lots of character. Some even had layers of old newspapers glued on the back. I guessed it was used as insulation. When I started making painted signs, I raided the garage for cool old wood.

I haven't been able to put this guy up for a few years now. It's not too 'frozy' in FL, but it sure is here in IN. I saw a similar sign in some catalogue once and made up my own. I especially like it because it can stay up all winter.


Having this guy on our door (which I want to paint red this spring) reminded me that I have some other signs waiting to be hung up. I pulled four from the garage and finally found homes for two of them. The other two are made from heavy floor boards and I need a second hand to help hang them. I made these four when hubby and I moved into a new home that was much larger than anywhere we had lived before. It needed furnished and decorated and it needed to be done cheaply. Recently, I learned two tricks for getting letters onto boards to be painted (using a pencil to imprint the letters on to the wood from a printed page and using carbon paper to get a line onto the wood). I wish I would have known those then.



I found some more wood in our garage here. I am working on choosing some new quotes or passages to use. Do you have a favorite that would make a cool sign?

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Whenever the "signals" catalog is sent to our house, I want to buy a bunch of signs for our house, but can never justify the cost. Not sure how many you'll like, but maybe you'll get inspired. http://www.signals.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?randomizer=1697925504&action=CATEGORY&PATH=1HA;1HB&PAGING=36

Becca said...

Hi beth! Sorry I didn't see your comment until after I already posted! Can you do me a favor and send me the link to your post that I loved in an email! That way I can include it in this weeks RR post! I seriously loved it sooo much!

bluecricketdesign@gmail.com