Thursday, May 13, 2010

CSA

We've joined a CSA. There are lot of CSAs out there that cover produce, but this one supplies our meat. (You can find a local CSA here) Today was the first day that we got to go out to the farm. Our monthly allotment starts next month, but there were some chickens available for pick up today.

It was a real hike! My directions had me take a one lane gravel road through a forest for several miles. Luckily, no other cars came by. Bee kept saying, "Just don't say we are in a forest."

The only animals that we could see today were the sheep. All of the animals here are grass fed, free range. The chickens, cows, goats, and pigs were all grazing farther out.

One of the reasons I wanted to go out to the farm today was so Bee and Lou could see the animals. I want them to know where our food comes from. I want and I want them to be appreciative of where out food comes from.

Me: remember how we talked about these sheep being farm animals that they raise for meat... meat for us to eat.
Bee: Can I eat the big one?

I guess she's ok with it.

I roasted up the chicken that evening. It is by far the freshest chicken I've ever eaten. It was clucken around this farm just yesterday. It was really super delicious. If you happen to be in Southwest Indiana or the tri-state area, we belong to Stonewall Farm's CSA.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the pictures, I believe that you were in a forest.

Love Always,
Dad

Our Crazy Family said...

Ha ha...When I was little we raised pigs and my parents gave me the speech about raising them to eat them and every time we ate bacon or sausage or ribs I would ask my parents what part of "PIG FREDDIE" (that was the name of my pig) we were eating. :) Happy days. Glad she is okay with it.

mommyslittlemonkeys said...

SO glad to hear it is delicious. I can't wait for June and all the fresh meat. I am anxious to hear how you like all the different kinds since we only did the poultry CSA. I wanted to make sure we could eat it all and that the family would eat other kinds of meat. I think goat is some of the meat listed, which I ate as a kid but have no memory of. So you'll have to let me know if it's tasty. :-)