Saturday, July 11, 2009

preparing for a hurricane

Here's our newly stocked hurricane supply closet. We have lived in FL two years and this is the first time we are following the directions they repeat every evening on the news. I have before picked up a few cans of soup and threw them in the back of the pantry, but we've never had the 4-5 days of food and supplies and multiple gallons of water. I still need to inventory flashlights and batteries. We made a special grocery trip this year just for the food to store away should we have a big storm. I admit I occasionally judge what other's have in their shopping cart.... I was embarrassed at my cart as we checked out. I'm sure others judged my purchases. Nothing fresh, everything boxed, canned, preserved, and convenient. So here we are; toilet paper, cat food, water jugs, canned tuna, canned veges, canned fruit, applesauce, canned soup (guess we'll eat it cold), peanut butter, jelly, crackers, random junk food. The kids can't wait for a hurricane!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too bad you don't live in Key West---they "have hurricane parties every time it blows" (lines from some old Cajun/country song)

Dad