Friday, August 28, 2009

Bird watching

I have mentioned before that I am not a fan of birds, however, I do not want my kids to have my unnecessary fear of birds (I don't want them to get their faces pecked either- so perhaps a small level of fear is healthy!) so I try to be cool about it around them.

We have a mama mourning bird bird nesting on our porch eves. This week her babies were born. The kids have been so interested in watching her behavior and trying to sneak peaks of the babies. We also added a humming bird feeder and had our first humming bird within the hour. Bee has been pointing out every bird in the yard and asking questions about it.








Yesterday, we put together a little bird watching book so they can identify the birds they see in our yard. I need to add a ring in the corner, but I can't remember where I put them. Bee is wondering where the Herrings and Ibis are. I didn't need to include the flamingos either. We had a lovely flock of flamingos we would sometimes see at the bay.








The pages are just images I found on google and the kids glued them to card stock. I covered them in contact paper. I added a few details to the cover by stitching on some ribbon using the zig zag stitch on my sewing machine. Then I hot glued on the bow. Add some binoculars and hang them near a good bird watching spot and you are ready to go!


Here are some fun bird crafts we did a few month ago at our co-op preschool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know what kind of bird has the nest? Today the babies don't look too pretty. We have watched a nest several times but have never seen the babies leave. gma

Anonymous said...

Cool bird pictures!

Grandpa A

Unknown said...

How cute are YOU?