Thursday, May 28, 2009

end of the rainbow

I went to this new-to-me fabric shop in Dunedin, called Rainbows End. Ahhhhhhh..... that's the sound the heavenly angels made when the kids and I walked in. There were rows and rows of fabric as far as the end could see. Next to the rows, they had additional baskets of fabric bolts. Here is a picture from their website.




They had designer fabric I've only seen online, high end stuff, affordable stuff, just everything I could have been looking for. They had a little toy area for the kids so I could be free to browse at my leisure. When I thought I had explored the whole store, I discovered an opening in the wall that led to an entire additional section of the store as big as the first, full of more fabric! It was overwhelming, but in a really good, you're in fabric heaven kind of way. I could have bought a hundred different cuts, but settled on three, two prints and one boring solid.



I have already made Bee a top with two of the pieces, and don't have a plan yet for the pink flowered. I apparently am not very good at matching up prints, I want to be, I just couldn't settle on cooridnating prints. They even have fabrics grouped together, I just could not commit. I will need to take someone with me next time who is good with print matching.



***As a side note, while searching online for a link to the shop, I found this picture of an actual end of a rainbow.... that can't be real, right?

edited to add: A quick google search and a stop at wikipedia has taught me this.... I thought it was something like that.

"The Irish leprechaun's secret hiding place for his pot of gold is usually said to be at the end of the rainbow. This place is impossible to reach, because the rainbow is an optical effect which depends on the location of the viewer. When walking towards the end of a rainbow, it will move further away."

2 comments:

Chris said...

Huh - that's interesting about the rainbows. I guess I figured they had an end. And, this store looks like lots of fun... although I'm not so sew-savy whatsoever :(

Jess said...

I like the top! I just made by daughter a skirt out of the Wonderland, have a link on my blog to the pattern. I also have a hard time matching fabrics with patterns. I always doubt that they really match, even when the shops have them grouped together for you!!