Friday, May 22, 2009

slouch purse, kind of a tutorial

There are some super great tutorials out there for the making of all kind of things wonderful and crafty. That being said, this is my first 'tutorial' so I will simply do my best. I don't follow patterns and rarely measure... keep that in mind.


I really wanted to make one of those funky trendy bags I keep seeing everyone carry. I don't even know what they are called. I found some online called pillowcase bags. I didn't have a pillowcase that I wanted to use, so I just cut out fabric about the size of a pillowcase. I used some funky new fabric I bought this weekend at our new IKEA!

I sewed the sides shut like a pillowcase. I usually use a french seem, but I cut the fabric a little thinner than I would have if I was going to do a french seem, so I just used a straight stitch and a zig zag. I think next time, I would line it as well. Then, after sewing the sides up, I folded it over and cut out a scoop the opening.

I turned the opening under and pinned it, then sewed the hem.


Because I can't have a bag with out a pocket for my phone and camera, I sewed a little pocket and added it in the hem while I was sewing that up.




Last, I sewed across the top of the strap (this photo didn't turn out at all), turned the bag right side out, and knotted it at the top. I have seen some where the bottom corners are turned inside and sewn to make a 'boxier' bottom, but I wanted the pointy corners. I have a teenage sister with a birthday coming up and I think this will be the perfect thing. I have some cute fabric in mind...


5 comments:

Chris said...

It turned out very cute! What did you think about IKEA? Ahh, that makes me want to visit one!

Kelly said...

I love it! These purses are also very popular here in Mexico. Sometimes they use two fabrics - 1 for the handles and the top few inches of the purse and another fabric for the main body of the purse. You're so creative!

Unknown said...

The moment I saw it hanging over your shoulder at church I thought, "Hmmm, I bet she made that cute little purse!" and I forgot to mention it somehow. Very cute indeed! pillowcase size you say...i might have to dig out some fabric i have hiding.

Tiffany said...

This is very cute. Is there not a lining attached to the inside tho?

Anonymous said...

I love this!! Thanks for sharing!!!