Tuesday, May 5, 2009

tuesday means preschool

Tuesday means preschool and today we learned about Cinco de Mayo and Mother's Day. We did a mother theme earlier in the year when we talked about families, so I did not do too much in that area. For Cinco de Mayo, I took several ideas from Max and Ellie for today (THANKS!):
We started the day with a cute coloring sheet and stickers, while we waited for all of our friends to arrive.




we made scrap paper college flags


The kids dances around the room with our wooden maracas and them made maracas out of small paper cups and beans (we counted out 18 bean, today's number). Jumping bean painting was a lot of fun, and not too messy since the kids did it one at a time and the jumping and painting was done inside of a cereal box.


We Read F is for Fiesta during snack time, played simon says in Spanish, and sang "Hands on my Head" (has Spanish body parts) by Dr. Jean.

Then, because we couldn't forget mom, we made these cute watering can cards from family fun magazine. The kids sponge painted them with grey paint and when dried, we tucked in a pack of seeds (which I found in my coat closet and may be several years old...) At least one child always chooses not to participate, you can see the blank one in this picture.


The kids had a messy good time making these cute finger print flowers. I used to do a similar project with my 2nd graders but we used a photo of themselves in the center. We read My Mother is Mine which is a super sweet little book.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I see Hannah wore her Mexican shirt. Very Cinco de Mayo!

-Chris

Kelly said...

Yay for Mexican culture! It's very common down here to hang flags and paper streamers, so your room looked very authentic. I wish I could have been there.