Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What year is it?

I didn't know people still had sock hops, but a friends little sister is going to a sock hop at school and was in need of a poodle skirt. They picked up the materials and brought it all over for me to work on. I couldn't put it down, it was a fun challenge and it turned out pretty cute, although my pictures did not. I first started to make the skirt like I would make a regular skirt, a rectangular piece of fabric with a waist band, but I quickly realized that was not going to give nearly enough body to the skirt. I was pondering this when I remembered how my grandma described making table cloths with a pencil on a string. I folded the felt over and make up a similar contraption to make a perfect circle. I pinned my tape measure trough the fabric and into the floor. I then marked the felt with chalk. It took all of the 2 yards of felt that I told them to buy. Boy this this give the skirt some body.





I cut a hole for the waist, turned it under once and sewed a place for the elastic to go. I threaded the elastic through the waist and fitted it to myself. I was told we were pretty close in size, which was nice since she was not there for modeling and sizing.



I found a poodle image that I like and drew it on some transfer paper. Then I ironed that onto some white felt and cut it out. I found the placement and hand stitched the poodle to the skirt. I must admit that my stitched started out nice and neat and ended up bit bigger, just attaching the darn poodle to the skirt. I machine sewed the ric rack on for the leash.



I made a three layered tulle skirt to go underneath, but I don't think she'll need it. It actually was really full and a bit too much. I did not think it was flattering on my waist, but maybe she will want it. She's supposed to send me a picture when she's all dressed up. I can't wait to see it. Despite this dark picture, it's a really pretty dark purple with a purple glittery leash.


No comments: