Saturday, May 16, 2009

more food... I know, I know.

I really didn't intend to write so much about food this week, but I am typing up some recipes anyway. The kids and I made a fun meal tonight, delicious flat bread. I found this recipe in a taste of home magazine (or healthy cooking, one of those cooking magazines by that same company) and had it tucked away until I was preparing for a meager eating challenge our church posed. We were asked to eat very meager meals in 'support' of our church's missions in Haiti and Kenya. I just checked the church website for the exact stats, but it's not posted yet- something like 1/3 of the worlds population eats what we would surely call 'meager' meals. We were challenged to spend one week eating like they do. Rice or beans, maybe flatbread or something similar at one meal, very little meat- maybe a small bit of chicken of fish at one meal a day. A bit of oatmeal for breakfast, no goodies or sugar in it. One small serving of a vegetable a day, no fruit, no dessert,no pop, sugar, dairy,etc. Small portions, small, small portions. I was still nursing Lou when we did it last time, a few months ago so I couldn't really participate. I did do smaller portions, but made sure to eat more diversely than my hubby did, including fruits and dairy.




We are doing this challenge again at the end of May and I am going to be able to fully participate this time... at least I'll try. I sure do like chocolate.

Flatbread: (this may be too good to qualify for the meager meals challenge!)
1 t yeast
1 c warm water
2 t olive oil
1 t salt
2/3 whole wheat flour
2 c flour
Rise 1 hr. makes 8 Skillet 2-3 min

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and salt. gradually add flours and mix. turn out to a floured surface. Knead for several minutes. Let rise 1 hour. My little people like to eat the dough (blah!). (Tonight I used 3/4 c spelt flour, 3/4 c whole grain wheat flour, and @ 1 c unbleached white flour)


Divide into 8 sections. Heat skillet. Roll balls out.



Spray skillet with olive oil. Cook on each side about 3 minutes, until it bubbles and is golden.

We eat them all different ways, tonight we had them with some chicken (chicken, corn, beans, salsa in the crock pot) cheese, and sour cream. We have had them with salad and wrap type things inside, tuna salad, etc. We like to eat them with rice and beans, or with soup. I think they might be nice toasted in the oven and used as chips for hummus. hmmm... I might try that tomorrow.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

This sounds delicious! I loved all the recipes this week. And, I like the new blog design.

Mama King said...

Yumm!! I love all things doughy!